About The Company
apid Media is the world’s leading paddlesports media company. We produce Paddling Magazine, including our special annual 300+ page Paddling Buyer’s Guide and 200+ page Paddling Trip Guide travel issues.
We also produce Kayak Angler, the world’s leading kayak fishing magazine.
Both our Paddling Magazine and Kayak Angler brands have significant digital assets, including industry-leading websites, flipbook and app editions, and the world’s most sophisticated online paddling buyer’s guides.
Rapid Media produces the international Paddling Film Festival World Tour and, now thanks to COVID, also the new Virtual Tour.
Over the last 21 years, we’ve worked hard to become North America’s most trusted paddlesports authority.
The Job — Film Festival Sales and Marketing Specialist
Rapid Media has one Film Festival Sales and Marketing Specialist position to fill immediately or by May 31. This is a new full-time position at either our Revelstoke, British Columbia or Palmer Rapids, Ontario office.
Over the last 16 years, we’ve grown the Paddling Film Festival World Tour to a 130+ city international event. Then COVID-19 closed theatres everywhere. Now the Paddling Film Festival is a hybrid event offering in-theatre World Tour screenings and in-home Virtual Tour digital downloads. We have a full-time World Tour coordinator, and so the Sales and Marketing Specialist job entails increasing worldwide Paddling Film Festival brand awareness and driving purchase and downloads of the Virtual Tour.
You’ll collaborate and coordinate with our publisher, marketing director, industry partners, and our in-house editorial and marketing teams to develop efficient and synergistic marketing strategies, campaigns and promotions to maximize reach, audience engagement and ticket sales revenues.
Our main focus is connecting all the dots and growing market share, viewership and Virtual Tour ticket sales. What does this mean, really? There are roughly 26 million paddlers in North America and we figure most have TVs or tablets at home. It’d be pretty cool if we were screening the year’s best paddling films on every one of them. Not to mention all the other living rooms of paddlers around the World.
You should have an understanding and voice of authority when it comes to paddling—including whitewater, canoeing, kayak touring, standup paddleboarding and kayak fishing. Our audiences are paddling and fishing enthusiasts. You don’t get to work in the sales and marketing department at Car & Driver because you own a minivan.
The position is in-house, full-time and year-round. It’s a dream job, but it’s a real job!
- Create innovative, integrated digital marketing campaigns at the strategic and operational level
- Lead and manage multi-platform audience growth and lead acquisition, retention and engagement campaigns
- Create, manage and oversee integrated audience growth marketing partnerships for the Paddling Film Festival
- Track and analyze audience engagement and growth, sales and revenue performance and targets
- Coordinate activity across multiple channels including strategic alliances, web, email, events and social media
- Analyze sales and marketing data and provide recommendations
- Provide feedback on and improve promotion and revenue generation workflows
- Work with media sales, editorial and marketing teams to identify and grow new audiences
- Brief designers, copywriters and website professionals
- Attend brainstorms and contribute to team and business goals
- Collaborate with other in-house teams to help with day-to-day tasks
- Attend international trade shows, work weekends and late-night hours when necessary
- BA/BS degree in business, marketing or related field
- Experience managing successful audience growth and sales campaigns
- Results driven, analytical, energetic, and a strong desire to learn and crush it
- Marketing-related experience at an agency, film/media company or sales organization, where you participated in both digital/social and integrated ideation, presentation, creative and promotions development
- Knowledge of media marketing, sales process and creative development process
- Must be proficient in the following applications: Google Analytics, Google Search Console and Google Drive, Facebook Business Manager and Google Ads
- Understanding and love of the digital media landscape with a deep familiarity of both inbound and outbound marketing strategies
- Excellent project management and communication skills
- Timely, reliable and able to manage multiple priorities and overlapping deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and flawless spelling, grammar and usage in your writing (can you find the errors we planted in this posting?)
- A positive, curious, playful disposition with a sense of humor
- Loving the SCRUM project management system is a bonus
- Strong desire to live outside big cities and an aversion to shopping malls
It’s a long list, but we believe the right candidate will already know the skills and experience he or she will need to excel at all this.
Salary to commensurate with experience, of course.
The Offices: Cottage or Chalet
Headquarters is located in Palmer Rapids, which is a small rural community with a big heart. The cottagey office is on the river-right bank of the Madawaska River, five minutes downstream from class II-III+ Palmer Rapids, less than an hour from the mighty Ottawa River, and right in the middle between Algonquin Park and Calabogie Peaks ski resort. It’s only two hours to Ottawa and three hours to Toronto. Here we paddle, fish, ride bikes and ski regularly. And we go swimming from the dock at lunchtime… in the summer.
Or you can work out of the new Revelstoke office tucked between the Monashee and Selkirk Mountain Ranges of southeastern British Columbia. Our desks here are 1.8 kilometres from Revelstoke Mountain Resort, where we ski and ride mountain bikes. We canoe and kayak on Lake Revelstoke and the Columbia River and chase river levels of the Illecillewaet, Jordan and Clearwater, to name-drop a few classics.
The Rapid Media team consists of publisher, director of marketing, media sales, advertising and sponsorship coordinator, magazine and web editors, graphic designers, film festival tour coordinator and finance and circulation managers. Most of us wear flip-flops every day and have never been caught wearing ties at our desks. Creep us at: paddlingmag.com/staff.
This is not a telecommuting position; only candidates who can work at the riverside Palmer Rapids office or Revelstoke mountain office will be considered.
Sound like the perfect combination of work and play?
- Send your CV to [email protected]. Please include the job title in the subject line.
- Please include a nice letter with a little about you. Like, why you’ll be an awesome fit for this position and our team.
- Let us know what your first five important tasks will be.
- Tell us why you prefer flywheels or funnels.
- Include links to any other relevant previous work, successes, achievements, or portfolios.
- Please include a list of relevant growth, tracking and analytics tools you’re a master of and suggest we use, if we’re not already.
If you think this job is amazing but not the perfect fit for you right now, see our other career opportunities here paddlingmag.com/careers/, or please forward this posting along. Thanks for doing so. Learn more about Rapid Media at: paddlingmag.com, kayakanglermag.com, paddlingfilmfestival.com.
Rapid Media is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability, or boats you paddle.