Rules and Guidelines: Paddling Magazine Product and Industry Awards
About the Product & Industry Awards
The Paddling Magazine Product & Industry Awards recognizes outstanding achievements in the development and innovation of products introduced to the paddlesports market at the 2019 Paddlesports Retailer Show.
The Paddling Magazine Product & Industry Awards embodies the paddlesports industry’s innovative and entrepreneurial spirit and rewards and recognizes the best products with “Best of Category” awards as well as the overall “Best of Show” award.
Onsite retail buyer and outdoor media voting will take place at the Cox Convention Center in the New Product Showcase.
Offsite voting for retail buyers and consumers will use online voting platforms. Award winners will be announced and recognized at the 2019 Paddlesports Industry Dinner at the Renaissance Oklahoma City Convention Center Hotel on Wednesday, August 28.
There are 11 “Best of Category” awards and one “Best of Show” award. Each category will have one winner. A company may enter as many eligible products in each category as it wants, and is eligible to win awards in more than one category. A product may be entered in only one category in which it most appropriately belongs:
- Best Touring/Recreational Kayak (includes all touring and recreational kayaks, including hard shell, folding, inflatable, etc)
- Best Whitewater Boat (includes whitewater kayaks, canoes, rafts)
- Best Fishing Boat or Board
- Best SUP
- Best Canoe
- Best Paddle (includes kayak, canoe, SUP, etc)
- Best Safety & Rescue (includes PFDs, helmets and accessories)
- Best Clothing/Apparel (includes technical, lifestyle, footwear, handwear, headwear, glasses, etc)
- Best Rigging & Outfitting (includes seats, mounts, tracks, rod holders, anchors, rudders, etc)
- Best Transport/Storage/Launching (includes roof racks, trailers, storage racks, boat and paddle bags, docks, etc.)
- Best Paddling Accessory (includes products not covered in above categories)
All Paddlesports Retailer Show exhibitors are invited to include their new products in the Paddling Magazine Product and Industry Awards. Products must first be entered in the 2019 Product Guide and must meet the New Product criteria.
- A New Product is defined as one manufactured or exclusively distributed by a company exhibiting at this year’s Paddlesports Retailer Show.
- The word “New” in entries eligibility shall primarily mean innovative.
- A product shall be deemed new when it is new to the industry, not new to the exhibiting company.
- New colors and minor revisions of an existing product do not qualify as new.
- The spirit of the Product Awards is to recognize outstanding achievements in the development of products being introduced to the paddlesports market for 2020.
- New Products must not have been available for sale, shown at 2018 trade shows, appeared on websites, appeared in catalogs or appeared on social media before January 1, 2019.
Voting for “Best of Category”
The voting process will be held over a three-day period. Voting for the Paddling Magazine Product and Industry Awards “Best of Category” will be done by: registered Paddlesports Retailer onsite retail buyers and onsite outdoor editorial media; offsite retailer buyers; offsite consumers. All eligible on- and offsite voters will be allowed to cast one vote in each of 11 categories. No Rapid Media or Paddlesports Retailer employees will be allowed to vote.
Onsite voting for “Best of Category” will take place in the New Product Showcase Tuesday, August 27 from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m., and Wednesday August 28 from 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. Online voting for offsite retailers and consumers will open Tuesday, August 27 at 9 p.m. and close Wednesday August 28 at 12 p.m.
Winners in each category will be announced and recognized at the Paddlesports Industry Dinner on the evening of Wednesday, August 28.
Winners and runners-up will be contacted in the afternoon of Wednesday, August 28 to confirm the award and ensure a representative will be present at the Paddlesports Industry Dinner to accept the award.
Voting for “Best of Show”
The second round of voting for the overall “Best of Show” will take place in the New Product Showcase and online Thursday, August 30 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
The Paddling Magazine Product and Industry Awards “Best of Show” winner will be announced Thursday August 30 at 1 p.m. in the New Product Showcase on the show floor.
Eligible New Products must first be entered in the 2019 Product Guide (click here to learn about benefits and exposure of the 2019 Product Guide). Product entry into both the New Product Showcase and Paddling Magazine Product & Industry Awards is $70/product.
Important additional information: