We asked our Instagram followers to name one piece of non-essential gear they simply can’t trip without. After reviewing over a hundred responses, we’ve come to the conclusion that “non-essential” is, of course, a relative term. However, we think you’ll find value in some of these ideas–if only to make your next paddling trip a little more comfortable. Enjoy our favorite 19 responses and let us know what’s missing from this list.
1. A knee pad. Let’s you shift your weight around in the boat to deal with wind or waves.
2. Headlamp. When I’m wearing it it means something fun is about to happen.
View this post on Instagram
3. Ear plugs. Surfers’ ears suck.
4. My notebook. I go back and read my entries when I’m not able to paddle.
5. A tarp to make a sauna.
6. Down camp socks! Because… just all the yes.
7. A small pelican case. I keep it on the deck and store keys, phone, ID, snacks and whatever small items.
8. A camp chair, you can’t beat a comfortable seat after a long day of paddling.
9. A fly rod
10. KT tape to pre tape for blisters and to hold down bandages.
11. I’m an absolute hammock evangelist.
12. A guitar!
13. My warm hat for lunch time stops.
14. Fairy lights on overnight trips.
15. Camping chair and sleeping cot: because I’m too old for some things.
16. A GoPro to capture all the eddies (it’s never turned on for the good stuff, of course).
17. A bidet (water bottle attachment).
18. Crocs sandals.
19. A perculator. Coffee is life.