Breakfast is the most important meal of the day whether you’re paddling, swimming, hiking or just lounging. Taking the time for a good breakfast is worth it. Our top three favorite recipes for camping breakfasts will make your whole day.
3 Easy Camping Breakfast Recipes
Badass Breakfast Burrito
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp oil
- 1 avocado (sliced)
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 chorizo sausage (thinly sliced)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 burritos
Break eggs into a bowl and beat. Set aside.
Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and gently fry the onions until translucent. Add the chorizo and salt and pepper to taste. Fry for 2 minutes. Spoon chorizo mixture onto the burritos.
Put the pan back on the coals and add the two remaining tablespoons of oil and scramble eggs. Arrange on the burritos with the sliced avocado and BAM! You’ve got yourself a badass breakfast burrito.
Badass Burrito Tips
- If you are making this dish in the first couple of days of your trip, add cheese and salsa.
- Add chili flakes or hot sauce for a little spice.
- For a vegetarian option, omit the chorizo and substitute fried tofu.
- If you are making this dish on the last few days of your trip, pack an avocado that isn’t ripe so it can ripen while you travel or substitute this for salsa.
Toad in the Hole
- 4 rashers of bacon
- 4 slices of bread
- 4 eggs
- Extra oil
Fry up the bacon until crispy and set aside. Leave the bacon fat in the skillet. Use a camping cup to cut out a hole in the middle of each slice of bread. Lay the bread in the skillet and brown on one side. Turn the slice over and crack the egg into the hole. Fry until the egg is done and slide bread onto a plate. Crumble the bacon over the top.
Toad in the Hole Tips
- The bacon fat may not see you through all four slices, so use the extra oil if the bread starts to stick.
- If you are making this after the second day, omit the bacon or use salami or chorizo instead.
No-Bake Backpacking Bars
The perfect breakfast for those who don’t have the time to cook, especially since you can make them before you leave.
- 1 cup instant oats
- ½ cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- 1 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 3 tbsp chocolate chips (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup of raisins, nuts, dried fruits or coconut
Mix the ingredients together and roll into little balls. Store in a Ziploc bag.
Backpacking Bar Tips
- Mix things up by using maple syrup instead of honey.
- Make the bars before you leave and keep them in the fridge for a couple of days to firm up.
Get cooking while you’re camping with this badass breakfast burrito recipe. | Feature photo: Nikki Fotheringham