Whether you’re an expert or a beginner, there’s probably somewhere to go kayaking or canoeing near you. Finding that perfect location can vary greatly in difficulty, depending on the waterways and popularity of paddling in your area. That’s where we can help. Below you’ll find all the resources and tips you need to find the perfect place to go for a paddle, whether you’re looking for a whitewater run, canoe trip route or afternoon of kayaking.
Armed with these handy tools, you’ll not only be able to find the right place to paddle, but also where to rent, who to go with, which tours to take, where to get lessons and more.
Let’s get started so you can get out on the water that much sooner.
Finding places to go kayaking and canoeing near me
The two best tools you can use to find places to paddle, tours, lessons, and rentals are the Paddling Trip Guide and Paddling Maps.
Explore the Paddling Trip Guide
Our Paddling Trip Guide provides information about kayaking, canoeing, paddleboarding and rafting trips. It allows you to sort and filter for adventures based on location, activity, operator, waterway, trip length, accommodation, guided or non-guided, adventure level and more.
Start using Paddling Maps
This free website will help you find the best paddling near you including launch sites, put-ins, take-outs, river classifications and more.
Kayak and canoe rentals
Are you planning an adventure but need to rent a kayak? Kayak rental shops exist near almost every major waterway in North America and the world. Maybe you want to rent a paddle or pedal kayak. Or perhaps you want a fishing kayak. On a budget? No problem, cheap rentals aren’t hard to find. Hourly, daily and weekly rentals are usually available. Find the right kayak rental near you or check our ready-made, destination-specific guides below:
Kayak and canoe launches
Enter the water easily at specified kayak launches. These places are usually free boat launches or ramps. Sometimes a permit is required. Find a place to launch your kayak near you by consulting your local tourism website or using the Paddling Maps app.
Lakes near me
Exploring a lake by kayak can be one of the most fun ways to explore a new area. Find a lake near you using Wikipedia’s giant list of the world’s lakes. Or explore one of these popular lake hotspots in our Paddling Trip Guide:
You can also view our round-ups of some of the best lakes to paddle:
Rivers near me
Where is the best river kayaking? That depends on your skill level and interest. An international river rating system is used to classify difficulty. Do you want a very adventurous river trip? Or is something moderately adventurous more your thing?
View some of our river-specific guides below:
Kayak & canoe tours near me
Paddle with whales, watch the waves crash with bioluminescence or simply take the stress away with a guided kayak tour. See some of our tour round-ups below:
Kayak & canoe trips near me
Looking for a self-guided kayak trip? Allow geo-location on your web-browser to find kayak and canoe trips near you using Paddling Maps.
You can also browse all of our paddling destination guides:
- 5 Of The Best Places In The World To Go Bioluminescent Kayaking
- Top 8 Paddling Destinations For Amazing Wildlife
- 7 Sunny Places To Paddle & Work On Your Tan
- Kayak Montreal: Where To Paddle, Rent, Buy & More
- Kayak Saguenay: Where To Paddle, Rent, Buy & More
- Kayak Riviere Rouge: Where To Paddle, Rent & More
- Top 10 Best Rivers To Paddle In Quebec
- Kayak Mont Tremblant: Where To Paddle, Rent & More
- Your Guide To Paddling Dazzling Moraine Lake In Banff
- How To Experience Banff’s Awe-Striking Beauty By Canoe
- Unforgettable Lake & River Kayaking Awaits In Calgary
- Edmonton Canoe Guide: Where To Paddle, Rent, Buy & More
- Kayak Edmonton: Where To Paddle, Rent, Buy & More
- 3 Best Canoe Routes Near Edmonton On The North Saskatchewan River
- How To Have An Instagram-Worthy Experience Paddling On Lake Louise
- Kayak Tofino: Where To Paddle, Rent, Buy & More
- Ultimate Guide To The Best Kayaking On Vancouver Island
- Best Kayak Trips & Tours On B.C.’s Sunshine Coast
- Go Kayaking With The Whales In Telegraph Cove
- Explore Deep Cove, The Kayaking Capital Just Minutes From Vancouver
- Guide To Kayaking Vancouver: How To Make The Most Of The Coast
- Trips: Kayak In Victoria, British Columbia
- Kootenay Lake Trip Guide: A Backyard Paddling Paradise
- 14 Best Canoe Routes Near Lake Of The Woods
- 13 Algonquin Park Canoe Routes Full Of Pure Canadian WOW
- Plan Your Dream Algonquin Park Backcountry Camping Trip Now
- 12 Best Places To Paddle In The Ottawa Valley
- Canoeing Lake Superior: Discover A Canoeist’s Paradise
- Trips: Kayaking Georgian Bay And The North Channel
- Paddle In The City: 4 Best Places To Kayak In Toronto
- 6 Of The Best Lake Ontario Beaches For Paddling
- Trips: Thousand Islands, Ontario
- Paddling Lake Superior’s Rossport Islands
- Urban Escape: Guide To Paddling The Grand River
- The Golden State: Guide To Kayaking In California
- Paddle The Coast: Guide To Kayaking In San Francisco
- Trips: Kayak In Lake Tahoe, California & Nevada
- 10 Things To Know Before Paddling The Big Sur Coast
- Kayaking Key West: Tours, Rentals, Fishing, Mangroves & Snorkeling
- Best Places To Paddle In Southern Florida
- Explore The Coast, Mangrove Forests, Springs & More: How To Plan A Florida Kayaking Trip
- Beauty Around Every Corner: Top Paddling Experiences In Orlando
- Plan Your Trip Down The Weeki Wachee River In Florida
- Everglades Kayak Trip
- Take Your Time Paddling Serene Waterways In Ann Arbor, MI
- Explore Sea Caves & Wild Islands: Guide To Kayaking The Apostle Islands
- Best Kayaking In Michigan
- Paddle Past Cityscapes & Secluded River Banks In Austin, TX
- Paddle The Bayous & Lakes Of Beautiful Houston With This Guide
- Paddle Lazy Rivers & Serene Lakes: Guide To Kayaking In Nashville
- Journey Through The Jungle: Guide To Kayaking The Wailua River In Hawaii
- Explore Paradise By Paddle With This Guide To Kayaking Oahu
- You’ll Be Surprised By The Beautiful Paddling Experiences Lake Powell Offers
- Paddle Through The Desert On The Black Canyon Water Trail
- Adventurous & Wild New Zealand Is Beckoning To Kayakers
- The Emerald Isle Awaits: Guide To Kayaking In Ireland
- Island Of Enchantment: Guide To Kayaking In Puerto Rico
- Kayaking In Chile’s Whitewater Paradise
- Best Kayaking In New Zealand: 12 Rivers, 2 Months
- Paddle Through History: Canoeing The River Wye
- Sjoa Valley Trip Guide: Norway’s Whitewater Paddling Paradise
Top kayak and canoe spots
With thousands of places to paddle, it’s easiest to first choose what kind of kayaking you’d like to do. Then choose a lake, river, stream or coastline, pack your bags, and head to the water.
To help with your planning process, we’ve put together the following articles:
7 River Safety Essentials To Take On The River
Kayak Camping: Ultimate Accessories And Gear List
7 Essentials For Long Kayak Trips
Our Paddling Trip Guide has the low down on kayak fishing adventures. Alternatively, the Kayak Angler website, our sister publication, has a kayak fishing hotspots section with hundreds of articles on where to fish and when.
Kayak and canoe clubs
Almost everywhere with a major waterway has a kayak club. Find yours by asking other paddlers around town, searching for “kayak club” on Facebook, or contacting the organizer of a local paddling event.
There are also larger social media kayak and paddling clubs. These online communities are the perfect place to share your paddling photos, meet fellow paddlers and post about your best days on the water. Check out the Paddling Magazine – #PaddleForever Facebook group.
Kayak and canoe lessons
Learning to kayak with a certified instructor will save you time, money and maybe your life. Sign up for an instruction or skills clinic, practice your skills on a regular basis, and surround yourself with safety-conscious paddlers.
Used kayaks for sale near me
Buying a used kayak is no easy task. Learn everything you need to know in our article: How To Buy A Used Kayak.
Kayak and canoe stores and shops near me
Whether you’re looking for a repair shop or want to buy a new kayak or canoe, there are likely many shops near you. You can also order from many brands direct online; however, we recommend test paddling a kayak before you buy.
What about Alberta I Love be in Edmonton